Friday, June 29, 2012
7:00 AM | Posted by KnoxvilleMommies | | Edit Post
Independence Day is right around the corner, so that means it's firework season! While you are celebrating your 4th of July, be sure to remember these safety tips from the National Council of Firework Safety:
General firework safety:
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
- Always have water handy. (A hose or bucket).
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don't try to alter them or combine them.
- Never relight a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter."
- Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers of any type. Parents of teens should supervise them closely when using fireworks.
- Do not ever use homemade fireworks of illegal explosives: They can kill you! Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department in your community.
When using sparklers:
- Always remain standing up when using sparklers.
- Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
- Never hold or light more than one sparkler at a time.
- Never throw sparklers.
- Teach children not to wave sparklers, or run while holding them.
- Sparkler wire or sticks remain hot long after the flame has gone out. Be sure to put spent sparklers into a bucket of water.
For more firework safety, visit the National Council for Firework Safety at www.fireworksafety.com
- ▼ June (8)
- ► 2011 (124)
- ► 2010 (49)
adult literacy Adult Literacy Month Autumn beauty birthdays Business Christmas cleanup community crafts cultural awareness month Day Out with Thomas events fall family Fitness food friendship frugality giveaway Halloween harvest health and wellness healthy living holidays home organization KM Birthday Bash Mabel's Labels meditation Membership Drive Mom of the Month Mommies Talk National Auction National Forum New Year's Opinions party Premium Membership prizes recipes Safety Santa Letters Savings sponsors Spring summer thanksgiving The Mommies Network Thomas and Friends Valentine's Day webinar Weigh-In Challenge